More oilcloth... I love the stuff.
As it will be a while until we'll get the new MDF desk built in the boat room I decided to put the old table back in there for the time being. It's actually the kitchen table which the previous family of four in this house ate their dinners at. The top can be made bigger by pulling at the ends and inserting two pieces which were stored underneath.
Martin has started to use the boatroom as his computer room and needs the extra bit of space but I didn't feel like prepping and painting the top as it will only be a temporary thing.
Also didn't want to have the unpainted bit in the middle showing so I opted to cover the whole thing with some left over oilcloth.
I used batting to even out the surface. Simply cut around with enough hanging over to allow for it to be stapled to the under side.
Once everything was stapled in place I popped the oilcloth on top and again stapled in place. I always put one staple in at the middle on one side, then the next one on the oppisite side, pulling just a little bit to ensure it's taught. Then I put a staple in the middle of the third side and one on the forth. After that I staple the rest of the sides at regular intervals.
When I reach a corner, I fold the oil cloth in and pull down and staple along the edge. Then I trim off the excess.
The surface will be a tittle bit pouffy to begin with because of the batting but that settles down when you start using it.
After we've built the new desk this table can enjoy it's fourth life (we used it as a small desk in front of the window in the hallway where the green bench is before we built the bench and the home office) in the storage room where I often need a space to sort my boxes.