Inspired by this post on decor8 I decided that I needed to do something about my Fira chest of drawers. I've had it for years and for years it was hidden away in a cabinet. It wasn't even called Fira when I got it, it was "Moppe". As I got my sewing nook in order I brought it out and it looked boring.
I started off by painting the chest itself white. I also painted the edges of the drawers as I knew that some bits would be visible even when the drawers where shut and also I wouldn't have to be so careful cutting out my front papers.
Masking tape is great when you, like me, don't want to paint the whole thing but want a neat finish.
I took photos of my sewing supplies against a white background and then before printing them on a regular office color printer I lightened them a lot in Windows photo gallery to "remove" the backdrop and shadows. The colors go all weird but this was the effect I was after.
I had large prints and smallish drawers and wanted to make sure I got the pictures somewhat centered on the drawers. I realised the best way was to lay the print on top of the drawer and rub with my fingers against the edges to make an imprint of the drawer.
I then turned the print over and cut along the markings that were left by me rubbing the front. I used scissors to cut the handle bit out.
This was my first ever attempt at decoupaging. It will not be my last. So easy, so fun! Just brush the decoupage medium on, add your print and then add more medium on top, let dry and then add another layer of medium.
Tadaaaaaaa! This looks so much better that my first idea. It was to use scraps of printed paper from the craft store. I had them all cut out but decided it looked too cute. This is more me.