I've had such a good day today! Got quite a lot done, although there are a few things I didn't get to, like an all of a sudden broken window which will need fixing before it gets really cold. The best part of the day was being inspired to get some ideas off for my Etsy shop. I'll tell you more about it later :)
After posting about the stool in my sewing nook I got some requests to post about the details on the cube stools too. Martin has been swamped with work and I haven't had a chance to make a drawing either so I'll just post photos and explain how we did them. Whe never make proper drawings for ourselves you see, we just wing it and adjust our measurements as we go along so there's no ready drawing to pull out.
The pieces are :
Please note that these measurements are approximate as everything depends on the thickness of your materials and the translations from metrics to inches are not 100% accurate, just approximate. But hey, it's not rocket science, just a little stool, and so what if you have to cut twice.
4 sides which are about 40 cm (15 3/4") wide and 36 cm (14") tall. The thickness of ours are 18 mm (3/4").
4 legs made out of 45X70mm (2x3") timber. We would have used 50x50mm (2x2") if we had had some.
1 top about 42x42 cm (16 1/2").
THe seat height of ours whne it's finished is about 51 cm ( 19 3/4")
A friend of Martin's helped us cut the sides in a big machine but we could easily have done it at home too. He came up with the idea of cutting the holes which is great. 1) The stool is lighter 2) When we want to carry it we get a grip.
We glued and screwed everything.
After assembling the base and adding the top we placed it upside down on a piece of mattress foam and marked around it so we'd know where to cut. We cut the foam with a kitchen knife and glued onto the top of the stool.
I then cut wadding, two long strips which are laid over the stool, overlapping like a cross.
I pulled the wadding strips tight and stapled them at the bottom and cut off the excess. Then I hand stitched the sides together.
The cover is basically five prewashed pieces of fabric (one for the top and four for the sides). I always leave the bottom raw until I've tried it on and then I pin it to the right length, tuck under and sew it.
There you have it. I hope it makes sence. If not, let me know and I'll try to explain.
Have a great Sunday evening!